7/17/12

Red Chief has a birthday





This is the straightest, most level cake I've ever made. Yay! (Post coming soon on leveling cakes.) This recipe.

The grandparents sent the yellow-wrapped gifts. When I went to wrap our gifts the night before, I discovered that we're almost out of wrapping paper: all we have is a roll of Christmas and a roll of thrifted, pink-flowered wallpaper. Luckily an Amazon box was sitting nearby, and I was able to use the crumpled brown packing paper to wrap Red Chief's boxes.

I can't decide whether to buy new wrapping paper, or to keep saving the brown paper. I actually like the brown paper better than most wrapping paper.

Where do you buy your non-Christmas wrapping paper?

9 comments:

  1. At the Current outlet in Colorado Springs. Shall I pick some up for you next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Red Chief. 6 right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom always used the Sunday comics in a pinch. Or aluminum foil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of using brown paper and string as the Sound of Music song goes. I'm thinking of reverting to that entirely to avoid the commercialization of much of the other wrapping paper. But, I don't know where to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I buy Christmas wrapping paper on clearance I always get a few rolls that are neutral-ish colors that can pass for birthdays and such. Also, we have a massive roll of plain brown butcher paper that we use. I love the look of plain brown paper and my kids love decorating it, so it's a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love presents that look like parcels, tied with twine with a vintage Christas tag. They are my very favorite. So I would definitely keep the brown paper around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get a cheap roll at Walmart or Target of a solid color or simple print that can work for baby showers, birthdays, weddings, and anything else not Christmas. Usually I end up with teal or silver. Last time it was polka dots; it just depends on what they have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the brown paper with twine.. and adding little notes or stickers is fun for the kids too. When My kids were young at home, I always saved the funny papers out of the Sunday newspaper.. Such cute gift wrapping.
    I love the color red.. so I almost always buy Christmas paper that is red /white polka dot or stripe or checks, etc.. No Christmas words on it.. It then doubles as birthday paper.. And I always go after Christmas and buy this type paper for the following years Christmas gifts and bday gifts.. [My kids can tell you... what kind of paper they will see.hahaha]

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps Happy Birthday Red Chief..hope you had a good one.. YOur choclate cake looks sooooooooooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete