7/30/12

I am the fairy godmother


Last week, one of my friends posted on Facebook, "Fairy godmother, please come clean my house."

I have felt that way before, and I think most moms and homemakers do sometimes. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling overwhelmed on occasion. It happens to everyone, and there are times when fairy godmothers in the shape of friends, husbands, mothers, and strangers come to help us. I have been grateful for the help I have received on many occasions. Walking into a room someone else has cleaned or eating a dinner someone else has cooked really does feel magical.

As the mother and wife in my family, I have accepted the responsibility to keep our home in order. It is my obligation—and privilege!—to take care of our home and children. I get to plan and prepare our meals. I get to keep the house a pleasant place to be in. I get to take responsibility (along with my husband) for my children's education, health, and happiness.

Deep down, I know that these are the things I want to be doing right now, even though there are days that are mediocre and others that are downright terrible. I want to do this thing, and I can even (usually) have fun doing it. I want to bless my family and help make their lives the best they can be.

I am my family's fairy godmother.

4 comments:

  1. I love how you talk about your work. I've been looking forward to feeling that way for a while now, but I hadn't gotten it. Miss F didn't sleep more than ten minutes and I never got a minute to do anything! We've figured out how to make her sleep today, so it's my goal to renew my efforts in the home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually within a year of having a baby, I feel like the one who needs a fairy godmother. I can't believe how long it takes me to bounce back. I hope you find it easier than I do!

      Delete
  2. This is the way I (try) to see it too! Thinking of yourself as a fairy godmother is a cute way of looking at it. I need to have a better attitude about meal planning. Nobody at my house will eat anything, so I wonder what the point is. ( :

    And it truly is incredible when someone actually fixes a meal or cleans something and you don't have to do it. Ahhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well said. I love the feeling of being the 'fairy godmother " of my family.. My children are all grown and gone.. But I still feel the overwhelming of chores occasionally. I think that is perfectly ok.. We bounce back ...and feel the wonderful feeling of taking care of our homes again.. So greatful to have that occasional time of someone helping the load.Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete