6/11/12

Things I buy at the dollar store


The dollar store is full of junk, and most of it's not worth my time or money—what's the use of buying something just to have it fall apart in a few days? But there are a few things that I like to get there.
  • Jarred red peppers. Much cheaper than at the grocery store, and the quality is fine. They're always out of roasted red peppers when I go, but I've tried the ones labeled "sweet," and they work too.
  • Batteries. I can't handle the prices on name-brand batteries. Look closely, though; sometimes I find packages with half as many batteries for the same price.
  • Prizes and bribes for the kids. I hate to say it, but I don't necessarily want "potty prizes" to be kicking around the house forever. If their natural lifespan is short, that's good with me.
  • Halloween candy. You have to choose carefully here. I think Pixy Stix are a great deal, because there are a lot in each package, and kids think they're cool. Some sorts of candy don't come many to a package, though, so check before you buy.
  • Yardley soaps. They last practically forever and smell nice. They are more expensive than normal soaps, but for something fun, they're a good price. I also like the Pears soap, but it doesn't last nearly as long for me.
  • Orange marmalade. Honestly, I mostly just get this because I love the octagonal jars. 
  • Tissue paper. But don't try to buy it at Christmas time, they'll be out. Stock up now!
  • Craft supplies. They have a pretty good selection of craft supplies, and although I don't do a ton of crafting, I always check here before I go to a craft store.
Do you buy anything at the dollar store? Do you think I'm getting my money's worth, or are there better deals to be found elsewhere?

13 comments:

  1. lovley post there are lots of stuff worth buying at the dollar store. Most dollar stores in Toronto are not $1 anymore which isn't good for us so I have reduced visiting the dollar store

    ReplyDelete
  2. We often buy hand sanitizer and ziploc bags at the dollar store. Oh and sometimes pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...I do try to avoid the dollar store because everything is so junky. But, I've heard that you can get small storage and organizing containers there that will hold up reasonably well if you don't have kids jumping on them,etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get organizing containers there sometimes. I have some that have lasted for years and others that lasted only a few days.

      Delete
  4. I use the dollar store for batteries, craft stuff, and tissue paper like you. I also sometimes buy nail polish and dorky cheap stuff for my kids like glow sticks. It's definitely good for stuff that doesn't need to last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy batteries there as well. We have good rechargeables for important things, but the dollar tree ones are for everything else. I buy all of hubby's vanilla creamer there, as it's half the price of the grocery brands. I also buy him energy drinks there, and it saves at least 1.25 or more per drink (too bad he won't stop drinking them). I also love to get the little plastic baskets there to use for organizing everything under our kitchen counters. I've also bought makeup, tooth whitener and hair dye there. Often it's good name brand stuff. I also buy certain medicines there, although our Walmart has started offering the same meds at 88 cents each.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My comment disappeared! Grr!
    We buy batteries there for kids toys and remotes. I buy hubby's vanilla coffee creamer there, and his energy drinks. Both of those save us over $45 a month by purchasing there. I have also bought makeup, hair dye, tooth whitener all of which were name brand or high quality. And we buy toothbrushes there, since in my house, I never know when a twin will throw one in the toilet or put it in the litter box. We go through a lot of toothbrushes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get toothbrushes there too. My kids chew them up so fast.

      Delete
  7. Red peppers! Wow. What a savings. I'm going to check at my dollar store.

    Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just saw your post on Money Saving Mom and am glad that I checked out your blog. It's very helpful and I'll be visiting often.

    One thing that I used to buy at the dollar store but I don't any more is rubbing alcohol. The bottle that I looked at just yesterday had only 50% isopropyl alcohol, not enough to be an antiseptic. The bottle that I'm replacing had 70% isopropyl alcohol, the right amount to do the job. One more thing to watch out for!

    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know! There's so much to watch out for.

      Delete
  9. i love the $ isle at dollar general! so many of their items on these shelves are wonderful, and made in the USA. one of fav.stores!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our dollar store has wheat bread, which is over $2 even at Walmart. They usually have wheat hamburger and hot dog buns which I like to get. I also get bags of frozen fruit there. $1 for 12-16 oz is a LOT cheaper than at the grocery store. We use them for smoothies.

    ReplyDelete