6/21/12

2012 reading progress


I've been kind of a lazy reader this year, but here is my progress so far.

  • Read two abridged classics
    • Favorite Greek Myths by Mary Pope Osborne
  • Read two science books
  • Read three classics I haven't read before
    • The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
  • Read a book about grammar or the English language
  • Read a book about literature
    • The Trials and Tribulations of Little Red Riding Hood by Jack Zipes
  • Read a book by C.S. Lewis
    • Mere Christianity
  • Read two books about parenting/kids
  • Read two books about Suzuki violin
  • Read something by Enid Blyton
    • The Malory Towers series
  • Read five books that I own that I haven't read before
    • The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
    • My Name is Sus5an Smith. The 5 is Silent. by Louise Plummer 
    • The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman by Louise Plummer 
    • The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye
    • Rosemary for Remembrance by Sunni Jeffers
  • Read two church books
    • The Remarkable Soul of a Woman by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
  • Read two homemaking books
    • I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson
  • Books that come out this year
    • Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
    • Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
    • Fever by Lauren DeStefano
    • Storybound by Marissa Burt
    • French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon 
    • A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont

Also, because I haven't loved everything listed above, here are the books I've read (or re-read) and enjoyed this year
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
  • The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg
  • The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria von Trapp
  • The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
  • Mrs. Tim Christie (and the rest of the series) by D.E. Stevenson
  • Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson
  • Harriet the Spy and The Long Secret by Louise Fitzhugh 
  • Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull
  • Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl
  • French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon 
  • The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye 

And, just for fun, here are some of the best books I've read to my kids this year (or they've read to me—Red Chief is reading better every day!):
  •  Are You Ready to Play Outside? by Mo Willems
  • The Tale of Tricky Fox by Jim Aylesworth
  • The Cloud Spinner by Michael Catchpool
  • Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
  • One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey
  • Bach's Big Adventure by Sallie Ketcham
  • A House in the Woods by Inga Moore
  • The Story about Ping by Marjorie Flack
  • The Legend of the Golden Snail by Graeme Base
  • The Magic Nesting Doll  by Jacqueline K. Ogburn
  • Little Red Riding Hood by Andrea Wisnewski
  • Pete's a Pizza by William Steig
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat by Judith Kerr
  • Pickle Things by Marc Brown
  • Koko's Kitten by Francine Patterson
  • Katja, the Windmill Cat by Gretchen Woefle
  • The Lady and the Lion by the Brothers Grimm, illustrated by Laurel Long
  • Henry's Quest by Graham Oakley
  • How Much Is a Million? by David M. Schwartz
  • Madeline and the Bad Hat by Ludwig Bemelmans
  • Animalia by Graeme Base
  • The Philharmonic Gets Dressed by Karla Kuskin
  • Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman
  • Robert the Rose Horse by Joan Heilbroner
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time by Cynthia Rylant

3 comments:

  1. I love Pete's a Pizza! I need to find that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that is one impressive bunch of book lists! Holy cow. I've got to do better with my reading. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lists of books! I should re-read Ruth Reichl. She was a treat. I'm reading Tamar Adler's food book now and liking it a lot.

    My best friend was recommending D.E. Stevenson to me just the other day. Nice to see her on your list too.

    ReplyDelete