5/31/12

Blogging pet peeves


I actually read lots of blogs that violate my pet peeves. I don't expect every blogger to be a professional writer, graphic designer, and techie all rolled into one (and I know I'm not!). Everyone has different opinions, and I've debated whether to post this. My intention is not to make people feel bad, but rather just to state my opinions and preferences. Just know that if I read your blog and you do any or all of these things, I still like you (which should be obvious, because hey, I'm still reading your blog).

——

1. Having to leave a word verification AND the comments being moderated. One or the other, please. It makes no sense to me to have word verification if you are going to moderate comments anyway.

2. Having music start playing automatically, especially if the music player is buried somewhere at the bottom of the blog. Often I am listening to something myself already, or perhaps we don't have similar taste in music. Or sometimes I'm not playing anything, but the volume on my computer is turned up loud . . . surprise!

3. Having an incomplete RSS feed. I read blogs in my RSS reader, and I don't like to have to click through to finish reading an article. I often skip most of the posts because it takes too much extra time to click through to each post. I don't want to spend all day on the computer!

4. Low-contrast colors and fancy fonts. No, I can't read your blue text on a black background. Black on white is classic for a reason—it's easy to read. And no, I don't want to read your blog in Comic Sans (or worse).

5. Bolded, re-sized, capitalized, and colored words. I know, I know, I KNOW!!! My blog would look so much more exciting if I used *bells and whistles* to emphasize my meaning instead of basic writing skills. {Or not.} In my opinion, formatting should promote clarity, not chaos.

6. Excessive ranting. I can handle (and even appreciate) the occasional rant (hello, what am I doing right now?), but if ranting is all you do, I probably won't stay long. I like to feel uplifted and improved by what I read.

7. Crude, vulgar, or demeaning words or pictures. Don't like 'em at all. Seriously people, I thought we left junior high a few years ago. If you cross my line, I'm leaving and I won't come back.

8. Complete lack of attention to grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Everyone makes mistakes, but there's a difference between the occasional typo (which I know I'm guilty of) and a consistent slaughter of the English language. I just can't put up with it—I find myself thinking in incorrect homophones and misplaced apostrophes if I read too much shoddy writing. Plus I have a hard time figuring out what is actually being said.

9. Huge, uninterrupted chunks of text. I hate to admit this, but my attention span on the internet is pretty short unless you've got something utterly fascinating to say. In my opinion, blog posts are best kept to one simple subject. If last week you cleaned the bathroom, went to the fair, and made a chocolate cake, I'd rather read about it in three separate, to-the-point posts than in one very long post. Along the same lines, pictures and paragraphs are helpful too.

10. Video posts. If your post is nothing but a video you made, I'm probably not going to watch it, because I prefer reading. When people make videos, I like it best when they also put the content in text below. Five minutes is a long time to spend on something I could otherwise read in 45 seconds.

11. Blatant copyright violation. Did you know you shouldn't just grab pictures from somewhere else on the internet and use them on your blog? It's best to get permission first, use a picture you created yourself, or use something from the public domain. Just saying.

———

Do you have any blogging pet peeves, or do you disagree with any of mine? Please share!

P.S. I hope that none of my three or so readers are bothered by excessive use of parentheses. If so, I apologize. :)

15 comments:

  1. Ha, you must not read my blog much. ( : Look, I use annoying smiley faces. And I'm sure I don't know how to use hyphens or semicolons properly. I quite possibly use too many/too few commas as well. I also have waaay too much to say and I'm terrible at condensing it. Lastly, I can't remember if my blog has word verification or not! I hope not, I'll have to go check. I'm no computer whiz, sadly. Oh, and I don't really understand what RSS feed is or if mine is incomplete or not! So sad.

    Anyway, love the list and the one I agree with the most is- don't slaughter the English language! Though, like I said, I'm terrible at the more delicate punctuation. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, I love your blog, and I've never noticed anything grammatically amiss there. :)

      Delete
  2. You hit all of my pet peeves too. It drives me crazy when a blog uses a font I can't read! And the grammar/spelling thing is a big one for me too. I don't like to read big chunks of text either, but I know that I do that myself sometimes. I'm constantly having to check myself on that one. I'm definitely not bothered by parentheses (pretty sure I overuse them myself :D). Great post and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the text thing too! I tend to ramble, and if I don't read over my posts, they get really long and off-topic.

      Delete
  3. ha ha, I use lots of parentheses too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree-- though I know my blogs are moderated, I'm trying to remember if my blogs also have word verification. I honestly can't remember! I'd better check...

    I also try to make my posts easy for readers to READ. All it takes is well-placed paragraph breaks. Maybe the people who don't have enough breaks also aren't bothered by long stretches of text? I know that *I* am, however!

    And a big YES to the music on people's blogs! I almost always have my own music on when I'm online, so it's very frustrating to have to go digging to find where the new music-- often music I would NOT pick to listen to-- is hidden away and turn it OFF.

    Have a great day!
    Mama Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think if more bloggers thought about things from the reader's perspective, things would get better.

      Delete
  5. I think you nailed all of mine! However, the music is the biggest! I often have my speakers up for watching a show while I work, and when I leave RSS to comment, only to have music begin blaring... UGH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee Hee. I wondered if anything ever made you mad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am guilty of word resizing...but in my defense, I am trained as a sign painter. Sometimes, Font size matters! I do hate red on tan lettering...who thinks this is good for anyone's eyes?
    The "Music" is so annoying! I hope you don't mind a whole lot of photos with descriptive text. It seems that is all I am capable of these days. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think photos with text are some of the easiest blog posts to read!

      Delete
  8. I agree to all of your list but of course can see how I've made all of these mistakes -except the music and color or font changes. One pet peeve I have is busy sidebars trying to sell me things or rampant self promotion. Those are tough to take as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh.. I so agree with the loud music blaring all of a sudden, and making you jump out of your seat.Total dislike. If I go to a blog that does this, most of the times, I leave it immediately.

    First, I must say... I am really computer dumb, so I may do some of the above things.. and not know it. I punch buttons by trial and error, and sometimes don't know what I am doing.ha..So, if you see something that needs to be done, please, feel free to tell me.. I always apprecaite the help.
    Love your blog, I so enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh, I would so enjoy doing a rant like this! I agree with yours! I keep hearing how videos really drive up your search ranking on Google, but I think I must be the wrong generation because I would rather read text and see photos than sit through dumb video to see 2 seconds of something interesting.

    My biggest pet peeve is when people "pour" over a page instead of "poring." I am not really the stereotypical editor who can't read bad grammar without correcting it, but that gaffe REALLY bugs me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's bad! My personal pet peeve lately is "without further adieu" (instead of "ado"). It makes me laugh, but ooh, it bothers me.

      Delete