4/9/12

Study area


A few years ago, around the time we moved into this house, Mr. Mordecai got me this beautiful little desk, and I have used it to write letters and hold my stationery.

Lately I've been feeling I need to take my scripture study up a level. Usually I read right before bed when I'm tired, and I don't get much out of it. Sometimes I read when Tiger Lily naps in the afternoon, but I do it on my bed and fall asleep half the time.

In any case, last week as I cleaned up the guest room, the thought occurred to me that I could have a nice, peaceful little study area in there. It's so nice to be in there when it's clean, especially if I open the blinds to let in the sunlight.

Yesterday I tried it out. Sitting up at the desk, I didn't feel sleepy at all. Red Chief interrupted a few times, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. I started studying the Religions of the World manual, which I have always wanted to read. I found a copy I didn't even know I had when I organized the bookshelves.

It felt really good to sit down and study for half an hour. It reminded me of how much I miss school. I loved school. I finished too soon. A little bit of study is just what I need in my life right now. And although I want to jump right in and study ten different things for two hours a day, I think I'll be sane and just stick to the one book. For now.

10 comments:

  1. This post resonates with me. I absolutely understand what you mean about needing study! One of my main problems is that, though I love to read and am good at retaining facts, I'm not very good at the kind of self directed study that results in comprehensive knowledge, the way a course from an instructor can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome to have a little space to study! I've been trying to do exactly the same thing for myself. Have you seen The Redheaded Hostess website? She was a seminary teacher for ages and has TONS of great study ideas and some neat scripture journals. I got the journals and it's a huge help for me in my study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, I'll have to check out that website. It sounds fabulous!

      Delete
  3. I love it (and that is a beautiful desk). I've been feeling the need to study more lately too. Now that I'm done with my online classes I've been so lazy. I only read for fun - which has been nice... but bad. I miss feeling that drive to improve myself and learn things. Great post and great reminder. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that after I finished college. It took me a year or two to want to get back to more improving reading—probably because I had no time for "fun" reading when I was in school.

      Delete
  4. What a nice little place to study in. :)

    I love reading. But there are so many things that I want to read all at once. lol And also not enough time in the day.

    I think I'll check out that Redheaded Hostess site.

    One of my hometeachers is a seminary teacher here at the high school. He amazes me with the insight he has.

    Also have you watched the scripture discussion programs on the BYU cable channel? Amazing. The religion professors also get me thinking with the insight that they have. They have all been many times to the Holy Land. It's great.

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. Take care, Janet W
    http://throughthewoods2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at this:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151652446215001&set=a.10150375471270001.442698.378213930000&type=1&theater

    Cool huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's another one for you. What's it trying to say, lol

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=269349079809832&set=a.268793989865341.60735.268792663198807&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete