3/6/12

Freezing bread



Have you ever tried freezing bread? This is how I am able to make most of the bread my family eats: I make two or three loaves at a time and freeze the extras. That way I usually have a loaf to pull out of the freezer when I don't have time to bake (which is usually).

Here are my tips for freezing bread:
  • Slice your bread before you freeze it. That way if you need a slice of bread and it's frozen, you can get a slice from your bag and pop it in the toaster (rather than wait for the entire loaf to thaw). I also like that it gets the counter crumby just the once when you cut the loaf, rather than every time you want a slice.
  • Make your wrapping airtight, but don't worry too much about special freezer bags or multiple layers if you're going to use it within a few weeks.
  • Let the bread thaw covered, on the counter, for a few hours. If you need to take out a frozen slice, fine, but seal up the bag again for thawing. This keeps it from drying out.

P.S. Here are my two favorite go-to bread recipes: rye bread and whole wheat bread (scroll down to the recipe at the bottom). I leave out the lecithin from both and the caraway from the rye. I add a bit of cocoa to the rye because I love the dark brown color.

1 comment:

  1. I never believed in freezing bread before because the only person I knew who did it just threw hamburger buns in the freezer in their original bag. They always came out terribly.

    When I make bread now, I do exactly what you suggested, and it comes out really well. And it keeps us from eating two loaves of bread in one week, too :o)

    ReplyDelete