3/22/12

Blender wheat pancakes


Several years ago, I heard about a recipe for pancakes that involved wheat and a blender. I looked it up, tried it, and was disappointed. However, since I'm currently looking for wheat recipes that don't use a wheat grinder, I thought I'd give it another try.

I don't have a $400 blender. Maybe I should, since I tend to do crazy things with my blenders and am currently working on destroying my third blender in seven years. My blenders tend to be cheap, run-of-the mill models that you can find anywhere.

Maybe that's why my first try at these pancakes failed. So this time, I looked for a recipe that soaks the wheat overnight first. I blended it for the amount of time specified and was almost surprised to find that the pancakes turned out perfectly.

One thing that I love about these pancakes is that because you start them the night before, you're committed to making them in the morning. My sleepy, grumpy morning self needs this. I set everything out the night before so I won't have to think too much in the morning.


Blender wheat pancakes (original recipe)
Makes 8

1/2 cup wheat
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
a sprinkle of cinnamon

Soak your wheat overnight in about 2 cups water. In the morning, drain and rinse it. Put the wheat and milk in the blender; blend 3 minutes on highest setting. Add remaining ingredients; blend 2 minutes. The batter should be completely smooth, with no chunks of wheat. Cook.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the other recipe didn't work well for you! My mom always made them when I was growing up, and she only ever had old, regular blenders. Then again, I think most appliances have gone down in quality over the years. :-p

    I'm glad you found a recipe that works just how you need it to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I frequently ruin blenders myself. :D I keep telling myself to invest in a nice one, but then I would feel guilty because I'd probably ruin that one too! Looks like a good recipe. I feel like you do: I like starting my breakfast the night before because then I KNOW I have to make it in the morning and I don't resort to being lazy and serving cold cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the most interesting recipes. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 3 blenders? I know I've done more than that!

    My current favorite is a handheld immersion blender--and it is better than any of hte other blenders I've had--and cheaper, too!

    ReplyDelete