3/30/12

Blender wheat bread


A friend sent me this recipe for blender wheat bread. I was skeptical, but it turned out great! I altered the recipe slightly to soak the wheat beforehand, as I did for these pancakes—it's easier on my poor blender.


Blender wheat bread

1 cup wheat, soaked in water overnight
1 1/4 cups cold water (it warms up in the blender)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon lemon juice
a sprinkle of ginger
1 tablespoon powdered milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
~2 cups white flour

Drain your soaked wheat and blend with water for 4 minutes on highest speed. If a vortex doesn't form, add water 1 tablespoon at a time.

Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients except flour. Add wheat mixture, then start adding flour until a nice dough forms. Knead for 7-9 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.

Let rise until double. Shape into loaves (I used one 8" pan and one mini pan; one 9" pan would also work). Let rise until double again.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake bread for about 30 minutes (time is for an 8" pan; baking time for other sizes may vary slightly). Remove from pans immediately and cool completely on a rack.

6 comments:

  1. I've wanted to store wheat rather than flour, but we don't have a grinder. Can you make blender versions of all recipes that require flour, or are only some recipes adaptable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know. I got the pancake recipe online and the bread recipe from a friend. I think it would be fun to experiment with other recipes, but I probably won't because I have a wheat grinder.

      But if you made the pancakes (http://be-it-ever-so-humble.blogspot.com/2012/03/blender-wheat-pancakes.html) and the bread once a week, that would be 1.5 cups/week, which adds up fast over time.

      Delete
    2. You can make blender versions of recipes that call for liquid, which can include eggs, oil, water, milk, etc. See here for some recipes that let you use wheat without having a mill; it includes a table on how to convert recipes. The table is on pg. 4 http://www.scribd.com/doc/73091032/using-wheat-without-a-mill

      Delete
  2. I made some bread with raw sunflower seeds in it. (not raw anymore, obviously, once I baked the bread). It was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled upon your recipe looking for a blender wheat pizza dough, I'm going to use this method and I'll let you know how it goes. I did make blender "oven pancakes" this week that were fabulous. It's interesting because the wheat and egg separates a little but I kind of liked the texture. It's a great breakfast. Anyway, thanks for posting this! I was wondering how to incorporate yeast in something like this and it was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete