3/13/12

Baking day—and a question



A quick baking morning for a day sandwiched between two weekend trips.
  • Two loaves one-third-whole-wheat French bread with sesame seeds on top
  • Three loaves whole wheat sandwich bread with ground flax
  • A big pan of peanut butter granola
I love baking days. The house gets warm and smells good; I get to play around in the kitchen; and we end up with lots of useful and yummy food.

My latest frugal/food-saving discovery is to make enough dough for two loaves of bread, then bake it in three eight-inch pans. The resulting bread slices are a better size for kids, and they actually fit into sandwich bags. I like these smaller loaves much better than the huge mushrooms that sometimes result when I use more dough per pan.

On a slightly related note, I'm looking for ideas of things you can do with wheat if you don't have a wheat grinder, for a class I'm teaching soon. Help?

6 comments:

  1. http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/02/05/food-storage-blender-wheat-pancakes/

    I've made these before, even though I don't have a grinder. They turn out pretty good.

    I know you can cook wheat kernals like a hot cereal as well, though that I've never tried.

    Your post has made me want to bake something! Have fun with your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, so I am not much help on your question but I'd love to see the recipes for the three baking items listed. We love peanut butter at our house so I'd love to see your peanut butter granola recipe and the others as well. Also, when you get all of your ideas for what you can do with wheat without a wheat grinder I'd love to see that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to ask for your peanut butter granola recipe too. :D

    The only thing I do with wheat that doesn't involve grinding is sprout wheat grass. SUPER easy. Soak your wheat overnight, sprinkle it on top of some dirt in a little pot, water occasionally and it just grows and grows. I think it makes a cute spring/Easter decoration, but a lot of people juice wheatgrass - it supposedly has a lot of health benefits. Haven't done that yet, but maybe I'll try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has a wonderful recipe for wheat pancakes that you make in the blender. These are still my favorite of all time, even though the recipe no longer works for my big family.

    Put 1 c. of milk and 1 c. whole wheat kernels into a good blender.

    Blend 4 minutes on speed 2.

    While blending, add:
    2 eggs
    2 Tbs. honey
    1/4 c. oil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 tsp. baking soda

    Pour onto hot, lightly oiled griddle. Cook until bubbly. Flip. Remove from griddle when cooked through and serve with syrup and butter. Serves 4-5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to eat the cooked wheat plain or mixed into things. I put at least 2x as much water as kernels in my crockpot overnight and in the morning I just scoop some warm berries into my bowl and cover with milk, sometimes with cold cereal. The rest I store in the fridge and add to soups, taco meat, sloppy joes, salads etc - somewhere I can 'hide' it to get more fiber. You can toss them with butter and seasonings, then 'roast' for a few min in the oven til crispy for a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I cook wheat and add it to sloppy joes. Also grain salads or wheat salads...there's a good recipe in the Betty Crocker whole grains cookbook.

    ReplyDelete