2/28/12

Self-checkout


We have two grocery stores nearby that I frequent. One is farther away and has better prices; the other is closer and costs more. I use the closer store as a convenience store; it's handy for picking up a gallon of milk or a bag of carrots between big trips to the cheaper store.

But there's one thing I hate about this store: the self-checkout. They generally keep one checkstand open, but the line is long and I usually have a kid or two and want to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Yesterday, I went in for a couple of things and wanted to get out quick. I had also picked up some garden seeds.

Seeds and a self-checkout are a bad combination. The thing kept yelling at me to bag my items. I was, but the seeds weighed too little to register on the system. I hate being scolded by a machine.

Even when all goes well with the self-checkout, I still feel my blood pressure rising when I use it. I try to use the single manned checkout line whenever I can as a sort of protest. Even an inexperienced checker is faster than a self-checkout machine. And what's wrong with a little human interaction?

What about you? Do you love or hate self-checkouts? 

4 comments:

  1. I liked them at first, but now I think it's just easier to have a real person do the checking out for me. Especially if I have any coupons! I have found that for light things, like seeds or drink packets, if you press your hand on the bottom of the bag as you put them in, so the scale picks up that pressure, it will fool the machine into knowing you put something into the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate! I avoid them at all costs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE self-checkouts. You'd think I wouldn't, since I worked as a checker for so many years and I don't mind doing the checking, but I DO hate them. I can't go fast because it has to register the weight of every item (and you've already pointed out that flaw; doesn't always register small items) and buying any sort of produce that has to be weighed is a PAIN. No - I always opt for a human checker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love self-checkouts. Our Smith's Food and Drug just went through a remodel that included installing self-checkouts. I have used them before a little. Sometimes I hit a snag like when I have to weigh things but other than that it is smooth sailing. For me it is still better than waiting in line. :)

    Have a great day. Take care, Janet W

    ReplyDelete