I've started making my laundry soap in quart jars. That way, when I get down to my last jar, I can make new. (Although of course this time I let myself run out before I made more.)

I add to each jar:

1 cup grated Fels-Naptha soap (1 bar yields about 2 cups grated soap)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda

The jar on the right is dishwasher soap:

1 cup borax
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup citric acid

I shake the jars well to combine the ingredients. Done!

This time, my soap grated a little too cheese-like. I like it better when it's powdery; it combines better with the other ingredients. I think leaving it unwrapped for a week or so before I grate it next time might help it dry out better and grate up more powdery.

I noticed last time I was at Wal-Mart that they carry all the supplies for making laundry detergent in the laundry aisle. I know that Target and my local grocery store carry at least some of them, too. I ordered my citric acid through Amazon.


7 Comments

  1. Good Morning!

    Thank you for sharing your dishwashing soap recipe! I make my own laundry soap...both the liquid and the dry versions. After I grate my soap I put it in the food processor for a few moments...it really grinds it up! I'll have to check Amazon for the citric acid...thanks again for the wonderful idea!

    Have a blessed day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that idea! I'm going to do it!

    I've goole+'d you (google+ mormon moms) and tweeted about you and....added you to our new FB site - facebook.com/mormonmomswhoblog.

    You have GREAT things to share and I REALLY appreciate them!

    Thanks so much for all the good you are doing!!!

    Heidi
    MormonMomsWhoBlog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, Laura! I have a mini food processor, so I'm going to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I am waiting to finish up my store-bought laundry detergent before hubby and I make this. Going to use my clear jars like this! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You soap is so happy, all yellow and homey-makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So silly question, but how much do you use per load?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a silly question! I use about two tablespoons in my front loader. If you have a top loader, you might try a quarter cup.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.