1/23/12

Five ways to eat potatoes for breakfast


My potatoes never seem to last as long as I hope they will, probably because I don't have a nice cool place to keep them.

Red Chief has been obsessed with latkes ever since he had a taste of them in his school lesson on Hanukkah, so they've been a regular part of our breakfast menu for the past month.

I've tried to stay away from frozen potato products ever since I learned how many of them have additives, especially oil. It doesn't take long to grate or chop a few potatoes—and I rarely bother peeling them. 
  • Latkes
  • Hash browns
  • Potatoes, sliced or cubed and fried (you can do this with pre-cooked potatoes, or raw potatoes, which will take a lot longer) (mmm, if you have bacon grease, it's definitely the thing to fry them in)
  • Mountain man breakfast (some combination of potatoes, cheese, eggs, veggies, and bacon or sausage cooked in a Dutch oven—I've never actually made this, but we had it sometimes when I was growing up and it's so good. Probably not on my healthy list though. Here's a recipe for an example.)
  • Baked. (Non-standard, I know, but I like dinner foods for breakfast. You can have baked potatoes ready for you in the morning if you poke them, wrap in foil, and cook in the slow cooker on low all night. This is great if you want to use a recipe in the morning that calls for cooked potatoes, too.)
I'm trying to think of other ways to use up potatoes. Feel free to chime in if you have ideas.

7 comments:

  1. I'm just a disinterested bystander, but I think you can make doughnuts using potatoes. There are also potato pancakes and a bunch of other such things.

    Or, you could go for a fried egg served over mashed potatoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like dinner foods for breakfast too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this! I will be growing potatoes this Spring in "patio potato planters" and I have been TRYING to eat more substantial breakfasts. My dad, ironically, makes the best latkes in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I taught Annalise how to make your cornflake chicken leg recipe. She had so much fun with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm...latkes.
    {mind goes blank and all I can think of is fried shredded potato heaven}

    ReplyDelete
  6. We like potato omelets - shred a small potato into the pan and cook a bit before adding the eggs. They are especially good with chopped green onions or some diced green pepper added in.

    ReplyDelete