12/23/11

A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband with Bettina's Best Recipes


My husband recently purchased a Kindle, and for my inaugural read on the gadget, I chose to read a book that is out of print. I'm always coming across charming old books on Project Gutenberg and elsewhere that I want to read, but they're not available at the library and I dislike reading whole books on the computer. Now that we have a Kindle, I'm looking forward to being able to read more old books.

I started out with A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband with Bettina's Best Recipes, originally published in 1917. I've never seen another book like it—it's a bunch of household hints and recipes put in story form. Here's the review I wrote on Goodreads:
The year is 1917. Bettina is a newlywed, but she somehow knows everything there is to know about cooking and housekeeping, and friends flock to her for advice. Covering the first year of Bettina and Bob's marriage, we follow them through meals, parties, houseguests, friends' weddings, and even a bit of matchmaking. Household tips are not very subtly inserted into each part of the story, and each chapter ends with Bettina's recipes.

I got no end of fun out of this book in the beginning, but it's a bit long and started feeling repetitive after awhile.

You can read this book online or download it for your ereader here: http://www.archive.org/details/thousandwaystopl00weav
Endpaper from the book

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I was just saying to someone at church today how I love to find books out of print (especially about homemaking).

    ReplyDelete