12/28/11

A little dress



Yesterday I got a sewing itch and I made this little dress for Tiger Lily. I followed the Junebug tutorial by Craftiness Is Not Optional. I used this video to learn how to make buttonholes sans attachment.

This was my first time doing sleeves, making buttonholes, and drafting a pattern. I still can't believe how cute it turned out and that it actually fits her! And I can't believe that I can make buttonholes—I have passed up so many projects because I didn't think I could do them.

I used a thrifted sheet for the dress, but lest you think I got out of this cheap, I paid over five dollars for the buttons and almost three for thread to match them. Ugh. Still cheaper than a new dress, though! Tiger Lily is growing out of all her dresses, so I hope I can get a few more done before I lose my sewing itch.

8 comments:

  1. That dress it so cute as is the wearer. Great job.

    Have a great Thursday.

    Take care Janet W

    http://throughthewoods2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I found really cheap black rib knit at Joann's on the discount table. I made 2 pajama pants for myself and 2 for Annalise. Still have to insert all the drawstrings, but they are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, she is so grown up! That's a lovely little dress :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very cute dress! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognized this pattern immediately! What a fun little dress.

    I buy buttons 50% off, and sometimes can combine a 10% off all purchases coupons with a 50% off buttons sale at Joann's. I get thread in bulk from Atlanta Thread company (it's 11 times cheaper than Joann's). Of course when you just need a little of one color, that's hard to plan ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such pretty vintage sheet fabric you found !
    thanks so much for sharing that how to make a button hole with the zigzag stitch video ~ I'm will give that a try :)
    Will you be entering this dress in the sew along for Project Run & Play ?
    http://projectrunandplay.blogspot.com/2011/12/first-project-run-and-play-weekly-theme.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. Tiger Lily is getting so big! I haven't been by in ages.
    THe dress is adorable--good job!

    ReplyDelete