12/30/11

2011: Year in reading



Here is my original list of reading goals for this year, completed.
  • Finish (re)-reading the Oz books
    • The Lost Princess of Oz by L. Frank Baum
    • The Tin Woodman of Oz by L. Frank Baum
    • The Magic of Oz by L. Frank Baum
    • Glinda of Oz by L. Frank Baum
  • Read about Eloise Wilkin
    • The Golden Years of Eloise Wilkin by Deborah Wilkin Springett
  • Finish reading Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelson
  • Read two parenting books
    • The Book of Nurturing by Linda and Richard Eyre
    • Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster W. Cline
  • Read two classics I haven't read before
    • Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
    • The Odyssey by Homer
    • Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy
  • Read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  • Read a science book
    • A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
  • Read a book on grammar or the English language
    • The Adventure of English by Melvyn Bragg
  • Read a book by C.S. Lewis
    • Till We Have Faces
  • Read To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson by Heidi S. Swinton

Since I finished a little early, I added a few more books to my list:
  • Read a book about arthritis
    • The Arthritis Foundation's Guide to Good Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis by Dorothy Foltz-Gray
  • Read a book by Shinichi Suzuki
    • Ability Development from Age Zero
  • Read Daughters in My Kingdom

I liked having more direction to my reading this year. Usually I just read whatever I feel like reading, but following a list helped me get some books read that I've been wanting to read for a long time. I also enjoyed being able to pursue some subjects and authors I'm interested in. Making a list and sticking to it is certainly more satisfying and more improving than my usual whatever-looks-good attitude (and I managed to do plenty of that sort of reading too).

This year I read 101 books total for myself (including the 19 from the list above), and I read 571 to my kids (that number is probably low; I didn't record what we read this year as vigilantly as I did last year). Also Red Chief read several beginning books to us this year! That makes me happy.

I am still thinking about next year's reading goals.

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous list. I never keep track of what I read, but I should start. I just finished "The boy in the striped pajamas"--required reading for my daughters reading class this week. It was very good, and sad.
    I love your idea of making a list of reading goals. Perhaps I'll try that this year.
    Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I could read that much! Maybe if I ever get around to getting new glasses... Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year I am totally going to follow your example and make myself a list of books I want to read, that way I can actually accomplish some of my reading goals. Loved your list from last year and can't wait to see what you'll read this year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The art of Eloise Wilkin is so wonderful; I didn't know there was a book about her. I'll have to add that to my reading list.

    Meanwhile, my goal is to read a book a month; I read and write almost constantly at work so I haven't been reading for pleasure as much. I've got a stack of books I already own that I want to finish this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson would be perfect for my 16 yr. old son. He loves those kinds of books :0)

    ReplyDelete