8/3/11

Zucchini



Saturday I was surprised to discover that our zucchini plant is producing. I don't think the garden got enough water this year—the tomatoes are dying, the cucumber plant is puny, and the only things really doing well are the herbs. But off in the mulch pile a few months ago, I planted a few zucchini seeds and hoped for the best.

I've gone out to check the plant every other day this week and each time have been surprised by the size of the zucchini. I'm trying to pick them small, but some of them have gone from nothing to too big in just two days!

So far we've added it to pizza, spaghetti sauce, pad thai, this curry, and a vegetable soup. That's zucchini every night since Saturday! And there are three more waiting for me in the fridge (one of which may have to go into a batch of these).

So far I haven't frozen any, but I don't know how long I can keep this up. Ideas?

7 comments:

  1. We haven't just had zucchini as a side dish yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've eaten zucchini every day this week so far! (Plus I just picked four more today to stop them from getting massively huge). I've tossed them in with quite a few recipes like you have, but mostly we just serve them on the side, cooked up with a little butter. I also have a great zucchini bread recipe if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make zucchini bread with my extras. I'll email you the recipe-it's so yummy warmed up with butter on it (no, not healthy, just yummy!). And you can freeze it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe muffins. It stir fry? Freezing it is a good way to keep it, freezes well.

    Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love zucchini (and summer squash) diced and sauteed with onion, garlic, basil and oregano. I prefer to sautee it in butter, since it gives better flavor. Also very good with mushrooms! (Add a little heavy cream or thickened chicken broth at the end and toss with pasta for another variation).

    It is also good herbed and roasted with cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, etc. Just add it after the potatoes start to soften.

    I miss having a garden! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zucchini ricotta fritters! Made them last night and they were awesome. I used the recipe from Love and Olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zucchini muffins or zucchini bread. I also like this recipe a lot: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Vegetarian-Penne
    I use milk instead of cream, double or triple the sauce, and I usually add a cut up carrot and maybe some red bell pepper. I leave out mushrooms and usually just use zucchini unless I have summer squash on hand.

    ReplyDelete