8/22/11

Vegetable main dishes






The government is finally catching up with me! Okay, maybe that's a little arrogant, but I love how their new MyPlate (a replacement for the old pyramid) puts such an emphasis on fruits and veggies. I find it easier to visualize how much to eat under the new system. According to the new system, you should be filling up about half your plate with fruits and vegetables, a quarter with grains, and a quarter with protein.



I think the best way to do this is to serve vegetables as a main dish. I think in our culture, we usually view the main dish as the best part of the meal, and often veggies are relegated to second-class (I know that too often I serve plain frozen vegetables as an afterthought, or salad made with whatever is languishing in the crisper half-wilted).

In the winter, my easiest veggie main dishes are soups, although we also like casseroles and oven-roasted vegetables. In the summer, with produce at its finest, I like to use as many fresh tomatoes as possible, since we love them and they're just not as good any other time of year.

So instead of steak, how about gazpacho? Or maybe a great big salad—it doesn't have to be lettuce-based. Or maybe try filling your enchiladas with spinach instead of chicken?

Over the next few days, I'll be sharing my favorite veggie main dishes. And please share yours with me. I love to try new things.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting what you said. "What for dinner"? usually refers to some meat. Vegetables are a second thought. I make a vegetable dish once a week.
    My spouse, the education tipster, has been told she needs to consume a lot of fibre. It is hard to get 30 grams of fibre daily after oat bran breakfast. We switched to brown rice aot easynd I force vegetables into meals, but it is not easy.
    But you are right, we need to stop featuring fibre-less meats and instead make THEM an adjunct to vegetables.
    This is the first I've heard of a "plate" replacing the "pyramid", it's a good first step.

    ReplyDelete