6/8/11

Mexican-style brown rice



I've been working on getting a substitute for boxed Spanish rice, which we love. I've been using this mexican rice recipe, but I was ready to take the plunge into brown rice. After a couple of edible but less-than-perfect attempts, I came up with a good recipe by combining the mexican rice recipe with the recipe for oven-baked brown rice in The New Best Recipe.

We really liked it! It was very tomatoey and pretty mild despite all the chili powder, so if you want it spicy, consider adding some minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce.

———

Mexican-style brown rice

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
2 1/3 cups water
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups brown rice

Heat oven to 375°F. Heat 3-quart (or larger) oven-safe Dutch oven* on stovetop. Sauté onion in oil** until transparent. Add garlic and chili powder and sauté a minute more. Add chicken bouillon, water, tomatoes, and sauce. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice, cover, and transfer to oven for 1 hour. Remove, stir in tomatoes that ended up on top, and let stand ten minutes.

*If you don't have an oven-safe Dutch oven or another similar heavy, lidded, stovetop and ovenproof dish, you can cook this dish in an oven-safe glass or ceramic casserole dish. You'll need to start out the recipe in a regular pot and then transfer to the oven-safe dish. If it doesn't have a cover, cover with a double layer of foil. Make sure it goes into the oven as close to boiling as possible.


**If you wish, you can omit the onion to speed things along faster (sub with 1/2 teaspoon onion powder), but don't omit the oil.

5 comments:

  1. This is very similar to what I make! I use the tomato/broth from the crockpot that my roast cooks in. Then we shred the meat for burritos and tacos, and enjoy it with homemade spanish rice.

    How did you switch your family over, or have you always eaten brown rice? My husband and kids don't care for it much, and unlike with pasta where I can mix whole wheat with regular, there are two different cooking times on the rice. I'm thinking maybe I should just pre cook a bunch of brown rice to store in fridge or freezer and then add it half and half with white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ, my family is pretty unpicky so it's not usually an issue for us. Although I do have to say I prefer white sometimes, especially when we're having Chinese food.

    My mom mixes it; I think she freezes it like you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blog!! I am your newest follower!! :) If you would like to check out mine also and follow it too!! That would be wonderful!! :) I am excited to share new ideas on food, crafts and about mineral make-up.. I will also be giving away mineral make-up for free. So watch out for it.
    -Brooke
    For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful--so we're trying it this week. :}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tj try the baked brown rice ala Alton Brown. The gentle even temperature of the oven make a profound difference. Brown rice for people that don't like brown rice!

    ReplyDelete