Here's another project that I've been meaning to do for years. My mother-in-law passes along stash fabric often, and I've been saving some of it for tablecloths. This took only about an hour; I should have done it a long time ago.

I measured the table and added enough for overhang (about 8 inches per side) and enough for a hem (about 1 inch per side). Then I cut the fabric to my measurements, ironed the sides under, and stitched the hem. It was very easy! I did my green fabric first; next I have some fancier white fabric to try.

Here's my cute helper. He wanted to make sure I get a shot of him too.



Every time I sew, I learn new things, or at the very least gain valuable practice. I'm working on straight, even seams right now, so a tablecloth seemed like an appropriate project.

It seems like no matter how hard I try, though, my seems are still uneven and crooked. I try different speeds; I try paying very close attention to getting things straight; nothing seems to work for me. My two ideas right now are more practice (I'm okay with that) and getting my machine serviced and adjusted. I'm sure it needs it. It doesn't seem to feed the cloth through very evenly—it needs a lot of help—and when I adjust the stitch length, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I've included two photos of my imperfect stitching below. Anyone have any other ideas for me? I'm open to suggestions on improvement. Meanwhile, I'll keep practicing.




6 Comments

  1. I would certainly get your sewing machine serviced. It looks like it's not feeding properly. Have you checked the tension on both the top and lower threads? A good repair guy will make sure it's working properly when you get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I would get your machine serviced. I had a friend, who is a sewer, that your machine will run forever if you have it serviced every few years. It looks like you stitch length is too short. If when you adjust it nothing much happens then you should get it serviced.

    From far away you can't even tell about the seem, so don't sweat it. I've been sewing for over 25 years (on and off) and my seems are still crooked. Most people don't look that close. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with the above comments to service machine and use a longer stitch length. As you sew do you line up your fabric with the part of the guide next to the needle or the whole guide? Don't know if that makes sense...it's like driving looking at the lane line right next to you vs. looking ahead. If you look at the line right next to where you're driving it's harder to drive straight than if you look ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try putting a piece of masking tape on the sewing machine and then when you are feeding the fabric through, make sure you are always lining up the edge of the fabric with the edge of the tape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came to comment and give you my tricks, but it looks like everyone else who has commented has already covered them! I use the masking tape trick, and I agree with anonymous about guides.

    And the real truth is, no one will ever notice it but you. I have never sewed a completely perfect seam in my life. I do my best, but I just try to accept that it's ok for the things I sew not to look professionally made. Good luck! And your tablecloth looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are doing pretty well on your seams, it looks like it might be a feed problem to me. So, getting the sewing machine serviced will probably help a great deal and you will be so much more pleased with your work after.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.