5/3/11

Me vs. the sewing machine

Image courtesy magazineart.org


I only broke two needles today, and I didn't have to rip out any seams since the mistake I made was something I could live with. I used magenta thread with my dark red bias tape and the stitches are crooked and very beginner-looking, but I've finished the skirt of an apron.

Lessons learned today: no, it's not silly to iron everything, even your pattern pieces and your bias tape; pins are your friends; putting on bias tape in two steps works better for me (especially on curves).

Thanks to April for this wonderful tutorial on attaching bias tape; it's the only one of several I read that actually made sense to me. I'm kind of a sewing dummy—pattern instructions are never clear to me. They'd have to be fifty pages long and be accompanied by detailed photos for me to understand, I think.

Time to retrieve Tiger Lily from her naptime exile.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to learn that it's not silly to iron everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Glad I'm not the only one breaking needles left and right. I don't sew as much as I'd like to. Last time it was Me vs. Sewing the Patches on the Uniform. Lol. I broke 2 needles until I figured out the TENSION was the key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out late in the game that some patterns are easier to read than others. Pattern lines I would consider "smaller" such as ModKid, Oliver + S, and Amy Butler are usually quite well written; while mass produced patterns such as McCalls and Butterick still make me want to pull my hair out!! The nice part is the learning curve comes fast-the more projects you do, the less you'll even need to understand the instructions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must run in the family. Mom had to walk me through every...single...step of the pajama pants I made last summer. Murder.

    ReplyDelete