1/7/11

Resolving, or thinking



I haven't actually written up a list of resolutions yet for this year. I have, however, been thinking a lot about where I am and where I want to be. One thing I've thought a lot about lately is my job. I stay at home, take care of the children, try to keep the house in some sort of decent order, and make sure we get meals. All in all, I try to make our home a place that we want to be.

Unfortunately, keeping house involves a lot of repetitive tasks. Someone has to do them, and that someone is me. The laundry will have to be done every week. The dishes will be dirtied again. The floor will need to be swept and vacuumed often, and the playroom will become a disaster again as soon as we get it clean. But if I don't do these tasks just because they'll be undone so soon, our home isn't a nice place to be. When the house is messy, I'd rather be somewhere else.

The house doesn't have to be perfect; I'm not delusional. We have a one-year-old and a four-year-old who do delightful things like grind cereal into the carpet and bite paint off the walls and throw up in bed and fling their dinners on the floor. But I do have to maintain at least a basic level of neatness and cleanliness so we don't go crazy.

There are a lot of things I like to do with my time. I can't say that folding the laundry and cleaning the bathroom are at the top of my list, although they can be pleasant when approached with the right attitude. So this year I'm going to try to stick to my housework routine so I can get it out of the way and move on to more pleasant things.

It's been a bit slow so far this week. There's a lot to be done. But I'm feeling the need to take care of things regularly instead of waiting until they get out of hand. And I hope that as I continue to do my work each week, I will get more used to it, and it will go faster and more smoothly. I hope that I will be able to find places where the kids can help, and ways to streamline the hundreds of little things that I need to do to keep this home in working order.

Oh, and never come over to my house on Mondays. Because on Mondays I clean upstairs, and I throw everything downstairs that doesn't belong upstairs, and on top of the weekend fallout and the laundry, it's not a pretty sight.

3 comments:

  1. LOL This cracks me up today!
    Not to make light of your struggles, but reading your post makes me realize how much alike we each are. (moms that is) We have 2 3 yr old grandsons, along with a 4 yr old, 2 8 yr olds, an almost 2 yr old GD and a 1 yr old GD. And thankfully, they all live close enough that we see them almost daily. But they are so busy at doing "delightful" thigs that we can't keep up with them! Thinking about it makes me laugh. Chin up! I'd like to tell you amazing stories about how together I am as a mom w/ a 14 yr old and a granna to 7 almost 8 grandchildren. But I'll stop myself before I become a lier! LOL If you ever came to my house and it was all together....yeah that would be a shocker! LOL

    I did enjoy you post and comments about trying to make your home a place you want to be. Truly very important work. None other is as great.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, it is so absolutely easy to relate to. You read my post recently and it looks like we have some similar ideas floating through our brains.

    I totally agree that when things get out of hand and the house isn't in a pleasant state we (mostly I) don't want to be here and that only puts the process of getting things in order even more behind.

    I do want my home to be a place that we all want to be. A place that we look forward to coming back to. A place that can be a refuge from the storms of the world rather than an addition to the chaos.

    I have a good slew of cleaning and organizing projects on my list and already it feels good to throw away, put away, prepare to give away, etc. Thanks for the reminder that us Moms are all in this together. I'm off to work right away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a tri-level I'm tempted to toss everything downstairs, except that it is our front room, and the kids have already made it a huge mess.

    I'm still trying to keep up by taking care of things daily, but no matter how many loads of dishes or laundry I do, I'm still behind. And no matter how nice the front room looks, it takes about 10 minutes for the twins to create a complete disaster.

    I cannot wait until the kids are older and can help more. Although I'm trying to get the older 2 to pitch in, they whine more than they help most days.

    ReplyDelete