12/17/10

Bubble magnets


Yesterday I used Mod Podge for the first time in my life. Does that make me a real woman now? I've never been a really crafty person, but when I saw this magnet tutorial about two years ago, I thought it looked fun and I went out and bought the materials. 


And yesterday when I was trying to think of a gift we could make for Red Chief's teachers without actually going out to the store, I remembered that we could make these.


It really is too bad that I waited so long to make these magnets, because I had lots of fun and I really like the way they turned out!



Materials:
  • Decorative paper—scrapbook paper, pages from an old book, magazine pictures, anything
  • 1" or larger clear flat glass marbles (sold in the floral section of the dollar store or craft store)
  • Strong magnets smaller than the size of your flat marbles
  • Mod Podge
  • Small paintbrush
  • Hot glue

Instructions:
  1. Put your glass down on top of your paper and trace around it closely. Cut out the shape just inside the outline you traced (you want the paper to be a bit smaller than the shape).
  2. Brush the right side of your paper with Mod Podge and smooth it onto the bottom of the glass. Don't worry, it dries clear. Brush over the paper with more Mod Podge, paying special attention to the edges.
  3. Let dry for 15–30 minutes.
  4. Hot glue magnets to back.

It goes pretty fast once you get everything lined up. My favorites are the ones I did with pages from a falling-apart old book. I'd also like to do some with old sheet music, (the music scrapbook paper I used just isn't the same).

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you used pages from an old book. I'm definitely going to make some of these with old sheet music; I love the way they look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Those are so fun to make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for magnets! They look simple to make and I like the idea that you can use pictures or parts of pages from old books. It was one of my favorite posts this week and I've linked up to it here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2010/12/weekly-favorites-december-19-2010.html

    ReplyDelete