7/28/10

Microwave banana pudding revisited



Awhile ago I posted a recipe for microwave banana pudding—real banana pudding, made with a real banana (I can't stand fake banana flavor). In any case, the pudding tasted lovely but it turned brown within a few hours.

Inspiration struck a few days later when I was feeding Tiger Lily a jar of banana baby food. I was looking at it thinking to myself, "That looks so disgusting; I can't believe she's just gobbling it down like that." It didn't add up, though: usually she would turn up her nose at anything I thought was disgusting (babies are smart that way). So I tasted a tiny bit, and it was surprisingly good.

Then I thought to use it in my banana pudding, and this new recipe was born. It's much better than the old: it doesn't turn brown, and it can be made completely from the pantry. It's also very good on these pancakes.


Microwave banana pudding

1 jar banana baby food (the large stage 3 jar)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup instant powdered milk*
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon juice
pinch salt
a few drops yellow food coloring, optional

Whisk together dry ingredients in a 1-quart microwaveable bowl. Add about 1/4 of the wet ingredients and whisk well to combine. Add remaining wet ingredients and whisk well to remove all lumps.

Microwave 3 minutes. Whisk well. Cook at one-minute intervals, whisking well between each, until pudding is shiny and thick.

---

* Or use half as much non-instant powdered milk, or leave it out and substitute milk for the water.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I think the bananas smell so good. I was on WIC so I got a ton of carrot baby food, figuring that if the boys didn't eat it, I could at least use it for carrot cake for their birthday. Now I'm wishing we had more jars of banana left.

    I actually had a babyfood tower that I made on my vacation. I really should post to the blog, it's hilarious how strange I am.

    ReplyDelete