6/23/10

One-bowl method for mixing quick breads



Okay, here's where you find out exactly how lazy I am in the kitchen.

Last night I was trying to think of the last time I followed a recipe exactly and I couldn't think of one. I eyeball the measurements; I throw in an extra bit of this and leave out some of that.

And when I'm baking, I almost always change the mixing method.

I love to bake, and I like to get nice results, but I'm also lazy. No, efficient. Yeah, that's it. Usually making quick breads such as muffins involves mixing up two bowls of stuff, one wet and one dry. Then you stir the dry into the wet, put it in a pan, and pop it in the oven. That's how it usually goes. This also goes for lots of recipes, such as pancakes and waffles and even some cookies and cakes.

Here's how I do it. I mix up the wet ingredients, then I add the dry ingredients that aren't flour, like the salt and baking soda. Then I add the flour. That's all, and it may seem like a small thing, but one bowl less gets dirty and I can never detect a difference in my results, so I keep doing it.

And that's how I bake.

What shortcuts do you use in the kitchen?

3 comments:

  1. I do the same as you! I hate to make extra dirty dishes, so as often as possible I only use 1. Although I have found that for some recipes, my liquid measuring cup works great as the second bowl, since I use it to measure anyway. Especially for cornbread. I pour the milk in, then the oil, and then top it with the egg and mix before adding to the bowl of dry ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the inside of my palm to measure out a tablespoon, and always pour a bit of vanilla or lemon juice into the bottle cap to measure teaspoons. I never prebeat the eggs and it doesn't seem to matter. I always love a good kitchen tip!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I'm so lazy. I hardly ever use two bowls. I just throw everything in the same bowl together.

    ReplyDelete