11/17/09

Recently tried recipes





  • Sugar donut muffins. Too sweet with not much other flavor. 
  • Kung pao chicken. We enjoyed this and it stood up pretty well to my rampant substituting. We'll have it again.
  • Chocolate cake in a mug. I love that this recipe doesn't call for dividing up a cake mix. It is very, very good. It's kind of shocking to see how much oil goes into one serving, though. I'm working on a makeover, but I just can't get it to taste quite as good as the original.
  • Slow cooker oatmeal. I've just about given up on making oatmeal in the slow cooker. The first batch I tried turned rock-hard and inedible overnight. This recipe with the water bath worked much better, but it was gluey. I like my oats al dente. Other recipes I've seen call for four hours of cooking, but I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to start breakfast. Sigh.
  • Sweet pork salad. We really liked the pork. I doubled the recipe and froze a bunch. It didn't really fit with the salad, though. The rice (option 1) was yummy, the dressing not so much. We ate the salad once, but we're eating the rest of the pork on buns. The pork recipe is definitely a keeper, and so is the rice.
  • Chicken enchiladas. We really liked these! I might tweak the recipe a bit in future to suit our family's tastes. This recipe makes two big pans—one to eat and one to freeze.
  • Tofu and broccoli in peanut sauce. I made this because Red Chief loves tofu. The taste was really good, but it was a little pasty. I think it needs more, runnier sauce, so I will change things accordingly next time. 

1 comment:

  1. I need to try those chicken enchiladas. They look great! Would probalby halve the recipe though as I'm only feeding 2 these days. Glad you liked the tofu and broccoli. I haven't made it in a while but need to put it on an upcoming menu I think! Let us know how the adjustments turn out.

    ReplyDelete