11/23/09

Pineapple right-side-up coffee cake



As children, my sister and I often stayed overnight with my aunt when we visited my grandparents. We loved staying with her: she spoiled us rotten and let us play with her pig collection. One morning she offered us coffee cake for breakfast. Coffee cake? Red flags went up in our minds. We don't drink coffee. She couldn't convince us that there was no coffee in the cake and that it was okay for us to eat it. She finally had to get our mom on the phone to tell us as much.

These days, although I still don't drink coffee, I still enjoy a good coffee cake. Probably I should serve it as a dessert, but it usually ends up as a side dish. (original recipe credit)


Pineapple right-side-up coffee cake

2 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup instant dry milk powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
5–10 maraschino cherries, chopped

1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix flour, brown sugar, milk powder, baking powder, salt, oil, egg, and 1 cup pineapple juice (add water to make one cup if there isn't enough) until well combined.

Turn into greased 9"x13" pan and arrange pineapple and cherries over the top.

Toss together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and oil with a fork. Sprinkle over top of cake. Bake for about 40 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. oooh girlie, i am making this one for breakfast tomorrow morning!

    everything sounds yummy to me today, but this sounds extra yummy;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes siree. I love coffee cake for breakfast! With cold milk? Yummy.
    I have been a very absent blogger for the last little while, and have missed some fun. Just wanted to wish you a Happy Thnaksgiving! Be safe if you are driving far off.
    Enjoy your day.
    Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW....I like the new look of your blog. Iv'e meant to tell you before! Way fun!!
    Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I love coffee cakes.

    ReplyDelete