10/28/09

What to do with alphabet pasta




I discovered several aging bags of tiny alphabet pasta in my storage room this week and decided to do something with them. Red Chief loves identifying the letters and also the fact that it's tiny—it's a perfect food for toddlers and preschoolers.

Recipes are harder to come by than I thought they would be. Here are a few ideas:
  • Put some in soup (either pre-cook the pasta or add it about 15 minutes from the end of cooking time)
  • Make ABC Pasta Salad (haven't tried this yet)
  • Make Grown-Up Alphabet Pasta (very yummy although the letters are indistinguishable by the end of cooking; halve the recipe for one 7-ounce bag of pasta)
  • Make a half batch of this with alphabet pasta in place of the linguine (my new favorite lunch)
I still have some left. Any other ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Well, I would throw them in any soup I make. The ABC pasta salad with italian dressing is good.

    Also, he can use them in play. You could take a few brown sacks and write the letter on the outside and then have him match them and put them in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since i've had any alphabet pasta. i should buy some for the grands! i like the idea for playing with them from real me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelie lots her 'multicolour pasta' - just a basic white/cheese sauce I make with flour and butter, then I add a handful of chopped up steamed carrots and a few cubes of spinach, and finally the cooked pasta shapes. It freezes really well too once it's made up so it's handy for times when we are eating something too spicy for her. (It's also a great way to use up extra/spare veg - I've made it with broccoli and cauliflower when there has been some little bits left from the bags of frozen veg!) Hope this helps! Fiona

    ReplyDelete