Image courtesy magazineart.org
Last night for family home evening, we talked about ways we can prevent disease and stay healthy this season. Since we have a new baby, I'd like to be especially careful this winter.
- Hand washing—Use soap and water; wash for 15–20 seconds, paying attention to all parts of the hand, including backs and between fingers.
- Hand sanitizer—Use about 1/2 teaspoon; rub well until evaporated. Use soap and water instead if hands are visibly dirty.
- Meals—We're good about washing hands after meals, but not before. We need to remember to wash before we eat.
- Dishes—Don't share dishes, food, and drinks.
- Sleep—Try not to get behind!
- Nutrition—Try to eat regular, healthy meals and snacks.
- Sneezing and Coughing—Discuss and demonstrate proper ways of sneezing and coughing in public (our three-year-old needs this one!)
- Preparedness—Keep some useful supplies on hand in case of illness, such as canned soups, electrolyte solutions, freezer dinners, and medications.
- Mayo Clinic on Hand Washing
- Does a spoonful of sugar help the flu take hold?
- Preventing the Flu
- Preventing Colds
What are you doing this season to prevent illness?