10/14/09

Really living




Yesterday I saw this quote at The Stone House and I wanted to share it:
"I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk’s lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."      
—Marjorie Pay Hinckley

5 comments:

  1. I love it too! I first saw it on Aunties with Advise. It's so like Beth. I agree with you Mrs M, it's really living, and living a worthwhile life! Sometimes it's hard not to get all carried away in our own lives....I need to be better at serving others. :-) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love Sister Hinckley!! she always knew how to say what needed to be said!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post. That quote is so thought provoking and what a honor it will be if I can drive up to the gates like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for coming over to my blog! :) You are so sweet... I appreciate your kind words! It will be fun getting to know you! Oh... and lovely quote, thank you for sharing it! *:D*

    ReplyDelete