10/12/09

Getting scorched food off pans


Image from magazineart.org



Since we've already established that I'm a bit lazy in the kitchen, it will come as no surprise that I regularly let things scorch to the bottom of the pot. Today when I scorched a batch of tomatoes while I was feeding Tiger Lily, I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of getting it all off the bottom. Since I was feeling lazy, I decided to Google it instead of cleaning.

Following the instructions I found here, I filled the pot with water, then added a drop of dish soap, a teaspoon of baking soda, and about 2 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide. I set it on the stove to boil.

When the pot surprised me by boiling over (Ahem! Wasn't that my problem in the first place?), I looked at it, took it to the sink to rinse it out . . . and everything came right off!

I like my new magic trick.

6 comments:

  1. This post today was written just for me! If this truly works I should cross stitch the instructions up in a sampler! LOL
    I am a VERY lazy cook! :-) Thanks much. ♥ Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously?? That is fantastic! I usually use a little plastic square thingy to scrap the pans, but it kills my skin. This would be so much easier! Do you think it would work with burnt on stuff on the stovetop? I boil everything over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Some weeks it seems that every time I cook, I burn something.

    Anne, I'm not sure about the stove. I hope you'll let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for tip would never known about the peroxide great idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should try that! I've been working on cleaning a pan I burned over a week ago now....! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! Bookmarking this for the next time I do it, which will come w/o a doubt.

    I'd like to invite you to link up a healthy recipe this Thursday at Kitchen Stewardship - I know I've seen you around the blogosphere in the real food circles, so it would be great to have one of your recipes on the list. More details here: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/09/18/announcing-october-fest-carnival-of-super-foods/

    Thanks!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete