10/2/09

Caramel sauce



It's apple season, and I'm enjoying the variety of apples at the grocery store. My favorites are Pink Lady and Jonathan.

Last night I cooked up this caramel sauce before dinner, and we ate twice as many apple slices as usual. I like this recipe because it uses evaporated milk instead of cream, so I can make it from ingredients I normally keep on hand.


Caramel Sauce


1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 teaspoons water
pinch salt
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine first four ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in milk and vanilla. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Store in refrigerator and reheat before use.

(Adapted from this recipe.)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy. We are going apple picking this weekend so I might make this up.

    ReplyDelete