9/22/09

Make your own powdered sugar



Last week as I was making cupcakes for the Cub Scouts, I realized I didn't have quite enough powdered sugar for the icing. It's definitely not worth it to me to pack two kids into car seats and run to the grocery store all for one cup of powdered sugar, so I improvised.

I put 2/3 cup of granulated sugar in the blender with a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch and blended it on high for a few minutes. While the result wasn't exactly like powdered sugar, it was close enough to do the trick. And I think that if I had a better blender and if I had let it go longer, it would be even better. It's worth a try, especially if it saves you a trip to the store.

9 comments:

  1. Good to know. I have a Cuisinart Food processor that could probably get the job done!
    Pax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat. I would love to bake more. I just don't have a passion for it because it really never turns out right. I love to cook though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, never thought to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I have always wondered if there was a way to do this... leave it to you to ficure it out, my dear☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Glad it worked out! Now the icings on the cake....or cupcakes! hehehee!

    Happy Homemaker Monday!

    Jes
    http://findingtrueserenity.wordpress.com/2009/09/27/homemade-pineapple-zucchini-bread/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip! We always seem to be running out of powdered sugar, especially now that it's birthday season at our house. The first one was yesterday and we'll have another birthday every couple of weeks clear into January. Why did all my children have to be born in the fall/winter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you when you don't want to pack the kids in the carseats and haul them off to the store for a measley 1 cup of p. sugar. Did you just try it out or did you learn the substitution trick from your mom or someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't remember where I learned about it, but I must have read it somewhere. At any rate, I just tried it out.

    ReplyDelete