9/8/09

Homemade microwave pudding cups



I'm making all my pudding in the microwave now. I won't miss the overly sweet, artificial, instant mixes; nor will I miss the half an hour's constant stirring and monitoring followed by scrubbing the inevitable milk scalded to the bottom of the pan that accompanies a batch of homemade pudding.

These recipes use pantry ingredients and are done in less than ten minutes. Store in half-cup containers for your own homemade pudding cups. These are perfect for lunches and snacks, and if you fill the containers all the way to the top so that the lid touches the pudding, you'll avoid that weird skin that forms on homemade pudding.

The recipes below are based on this recipe. I've had fun changing it to make different flavors. I'll post more as I perfect them. Each recipe makes 4 half-cup servings.

---

Chocolate microwave pudding

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup instant powdered milk*
pinch of salt
2 cups cold water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together dry ingredients in a 1-quart microwaveable bowl. Add about 1/4 of the wet ingredients and whisk well to combine. Add remaining wet ingredients and whisk well to remove all lumps.

Microwave 3 minutes. Whisk well. Cook at one-minute intervals, whisking well between each, until pudding is shiny and thick.

---

Vanilla microwave pudding

1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup instant powdered milk*
pinch of salt
2 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)

Whisk together dry ingredients in a 1-quart microwaveable bowl. Add about 1/4 of the wet ingredients and whisk well to combine. Add remaining wet ingredients and whisk well to remove all lumps.

Microwave 3 minutes. Whisk well. Cook at one-minute intervals, whisking well between each, until pudding is shiny and thick.

---

* Or use half as much non-instant powdered milk, or leave it out and substitute milk for the water.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'll try it this week!
    Blessings to you, E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LIKE the skin on cooked pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! I like the instant mixes, but only when I can buy them super cheap at Grocery Outlet. Homemade is always such a hassle, especially for someone like me that doesn't do dishes well or often.

    I'm definitely going to try this to add some variety to Kaia and Dana's lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Thank you. I'm going to try this, but I think I'll try using a quart canning jar and shaking instead of whisking. I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awesome! You can do the same for small cakes. They're called 5 minute mug cakes. Yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! What fantastic recipes, and soooo easy. Thank you for sharing this fabulous idea. Can't wait to try them out. Great family treat for our pudding lovers.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I need to give this a try. Thanks for visiting my little blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this pudding- It is delicious, just like on the stove! I had to microwave mine for about 6-7 min total, and at the end, make sure you stir every 20-30 seconds to prevent clumping.
    Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete