8/26/09

Using green tomatoes




Remember last year when I had oodles of green tomatoes? The green tomatoes are on again, although luckily, this year they will have enough time to turn red before the frost.

Some of the recipes I found last year, though, were just so good that I might just have to repeat them while the tomatoes are still green. This stew was my favorite.

See all of the information I collected on green tomatoes here.

---


Yellow Split Pea and Green Tomato Stew (based on this)

5 cups water
3/4 cup yellow split peas
4 cups chopped green tomatoes
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2—1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
salt to taste

Bring water and split peas to a boil. Cook until tender, 30-40 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes or more, until mixture reduces and thickens.

Serve over rice.

2 comments:

  1. I miss my grandma's green tomato jam... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow first time I had ever heard of this recipe

    ReplyDelete