7/16/09

A rainbow cake for Red Chief's birthday






Red Chief had three parties for his third birthday party in all: one with each set of grandparents, and one with just us. He requested a rainbow cake a few months ago, so that's what we did. I'm pretty horrible at decorating cakes, so I went for an internal rainbow.

I used this recipe, with alterations as usual. I skipped the fruit. I halved it and baked it in bread pans and used food coloring instead of fruit. The frosting was yummy but very, very sweet.

Oh, and I used this recipe instead of a cake mix. It was just right and will be replacing cake mixes for us from now on. I've been looking forever for a good yellow cake recipe that uses oil instead of butter, so I'm happy to have finally found it.

7 comments:

  1. This is so cool, I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely. HOw precious. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great! What a fun way to celebrate turning 3, with 3 parties!

    Thanks for the cake mix recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love that cake. Maybe I'll do one like that for my birthday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK - that is an ultra cool cake! I love it!
    Happy birthday, little chef!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's like skittles ... in a cake ... That is truly spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! May even make one like it for dd bday in a few months!

    ReplyDelete