5/13/09

Working outside


I love having Red Chief helping in the garden. He learns a lot, and I think he's going to be more excited about eating the vegetables this year since he helped plant them. He has to go look at his peas the first thing every time we go outside. This weekend we planted some flower seeds and some parsley plants while Mr. Mordecai laid some sod that our friends kindly gave us.

It's so nice to see our yard coming together and looking more respectable. When we moved in last year, it would have been easy to give it up as hopeless, because it really was terrible. Red Chief couldn't play outside because there were so many sticker plants, and it wasn't really a pleasant place to be.

But now there is grass where the weeds used to be (mostly), there are two garden boxes and a swingset in the backyard, and some of the sprinkler problems are fixed. There's still lots to do, but I'm so happy to see improvement. Thanks for all you've done to improve our yard, Mr. Mordecai.

3 comments:

  1. Being a relatively new gardener, I feel the same way about my peas that Red Chief does.

    It's nice to see the hard work acumulating and accomplishing something, isn't it? It can be so easy to give up on those big projects, like landscaping, that seem to take so much time and work and go so slowly. But it pays off in the end, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know my kids despised peas until the first year we grew them. then they loved them so much they ate them off the vine while they were playing in the backyard, lol. they still like them, even the frozen kind;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a nice backyard, even if it's still a work in progress. I'm so glad your hubby is handy in that area. Mine was helping me by spraying some of the weeds we get that cannot be killed any other way. (I asked at the nursery)

    But, during his helping he also sprayed 4 day lilies and 2 hyacinth. They look like they will recover, but I was not a happy lady when I saw that. It's almost as bad as the time he weeded and ripped out our hibiscus, even though he was the one that had bought it at the nursery! Luckily I found it in the back of the truck with the weeds and replanted it.

    ReplyDelete