5/25/09

Vintage cookies: Coconut crunchies


Remember my grandma's old cookie cookbook? I pulled it out again last week because I wanted to try something new. After a bit of browsing, I decided on Coconut Crunchies. Why? First of all, there's her note, "Also called 'Pride of Iona.'" Who could resist that? Then there's the fact that it calls for a cup of cornflakes. I've had the end of a box of cornflakes sitting in the cupboard for ages, and I'm glad to have finally used them up.

Once again, I'll reproduce the recipe exactly as published, down to the adjectives, capitalization, and brand names. I actually tried to keep the size of these cookies down to a teaspoon, like the recipe suggests. As a result, I got almost sixty cute, tiny cookies from this recipe, 20 to a sheet. My grandma's note says that half a recipe makes 40, so I guess she made hers even smaller.



Coconut Crunchies
(A Crisp Cooky)
Yield: 3 1/2 dozen medium-sized cookies

1 stick (1/2 cup) Allsweet Margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 Swift's Brookfield Egg
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup corn flakes
1/2 cup coconut

Cream margarine, sugars, and vanilla. Add egg and mix until smooth. Sift flour, soda, baking powder, and salt together and add to first mixture. Blend in rolled oats, corn flakes, and coconut. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Bake in a slow oven (325 degrees F). 15 to 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY! These look so good. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like coconut and these look delicious.

    ReplyDelete