5/25/09

Using our wheat


About a year ago, we invested in a wheat grinder and a few hundred pounds of wheat. I've heard so many stories of people buying wheat for food storage and then never using it, and I didn't want to go that way, even if wheat does stay good for twenty years.

I am happy to say that we have actually gone through fifty pounds of wheat in the past year. It makes me happy to think of all the home-baked whole-wheat breads and treats my family has eaten. And when I think of the amount of baked goods we have bought from the store, I know that we can do even better. I hope that in the next year, I can do better about making all of our bread--and I'd like to work on making whole wheat bagels as well.

Oh, and I just have to say that I love white wheat. It's so easy to substitute it for white flour in almost everything--the color is so similar, and the flavor is lighter.

9 comments:

  1. How exciting! Good for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I know I have some red wheat up in my pantry and I have NO idea what I'll ever do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What things have you made with the wheat. Can you share some of your favorite receipes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Isn't it funny that people don't use their wheat. It makes a great cereal. We just have to ease into using it otherwise we could make our selves very sick. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it hard or soft white? I ordered soft and have been having a bunch of trouble getting it to work out in my baking with yeast at least. But I do love that I can bake all my own stuff, save my family money and feed us healthy, basic whole grain bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, I use hard white wheat. I've read that soft white has a lower gluten content and is better for pastries and such, which would explain why it's not working out in your yeast recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We finally invested in a grinder as well and I made my first batch of bread with it yesterday. Success! I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can grind up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hard white wheat too, its texture and taste are a lot like regular white flour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I searched for this post, because something else made me think of it. I'm going to bookmark it for the future.

    ReplyDelete