5/18/09

Menu plan and every-other-week shopping


I haven't posted my menu plan for a long time, so here's a sampling of what we'll be eating for the next two weeks. I'm trying to keep it simple, since the temperature is rising and I don't feel much like cooking.

I'm saving a lot by shopping every other week, by the way. We usually run out of convenience foods and snacks by the end of the second week, but it helps us be more creative, like eating peanut butter toast instead of yogurt, or crackers and cheese instead of chips.

I was worried at first that I wouldn't be able to go two weeks without buying fresh fruits and vegetables, but most things keep well in the refrigerator. I try to fill up the fruit bowl every few days instead of all at once so the fruit stays in the fridge longer. I make sure to buy some longer-lasting varieties, such as apples and oranges. As for vegetables, I try to schedule meals with more perishable items for the first week so they don't go bad before I have a chance to use them.

---

Monday: Campfire meal: hot dogs, s’mores, Jiffy Pop, vegetables
Tuesday: Balsamic chicken
Wednesday: French dip sandwiches
Thursday: Baked beans and hot dogs (doubled to freeze)
Friday: Caesar chicken pasta salad
Saturday: Baked potatoes
Sunday: Spaghetti
Monday: Lentil tacos
Tuesday: Chicken adobo
Wednesday: Quiche
Thursday: Cordon bleu casserole (doubled to freeze)
Friday: Fiesta chicken pasta
Saturday: Kielbasa skillet
Sunday: Chili spaghetti

8 comments:

  1. I am also working towards only shopping every 2 weeks. I like your idea of only putting a little fruit out at a time. I am going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled when I saw chicken adobo on the menu. I like when I make a recipe I got from one of the roomies. It brings back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been progressing toward planning two-week menus as well. Because we plan and shop together, I sometimes have a hard time convincing Ben that we really do need that many veggies/fruits/gallons of milk/what have you. We often end up shopping on the off weekends as well to fill in the veggie needs or I make do with other things, and switch up the menus. Maybe I can try your plan of rationing. Or if I were to write down the amounts on the list, and explain which meals each thing is needed for...

    Thanks for the recipe links. Some of that looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't plan menus myself (it's just me and I happily eat the same stuff for every meal), but I love reading what other people are eating...maybe I'm just nosy :)

    I usually stop by the grocery store most days after work for the night's meal. It's not a wasted trip since I have to pass by it anyway, and it avoids rotted produce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your menus look great - especially the balsamic chicken, I'll definitely have to give that one a try. You should check out springpad's weekly meal planner - it's a great way to organize all of your menus and recipes (especially helpful if you're only grocery shopping once every two weeks)...I think you'll really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that all sounds so yummy. I love the campfire meal idea. Note to self!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I'm trying hard to not shop more than once a week, but with the different cravings it doesn't work so well. That and no matter how hard I try, I ALWAYS forget something, and it's usually something important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, everything looks so delicious! Thank you so much for linking up to my recipe- that means so much to me.

    We are now shopping once a week just because I want to take advantage of lots of produce in the summer months. I will scale back to once every two weeks after the summer ends though!

    ReplyDelete