4/15/09

Switching to cast iron

I switched to cast iron cookware a few weeks ago, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love not having to worry about ruining the delicate non-stick coating, and I love how well the pans hold heat.

Here are some tips for people who are thinking about switching:
  • The cast iron holds heat really well, so you can use lower heat, especially once you've heated the pan initially.
  • It can get really hot, so be careful not to melt your nylon utensils (ahem!).
  • Most cast iron comes pre-seasoned nowadays, but it never hurts to give it a touch-up. Here are instructions for seasoning or re-seasoning pans.
  • Clean as gently as possible to preserve your pan's seasoning. Sorry, no dishwasher.
  • If you have a flat-top stove, try not to drag the pans around on the surface, as you might scratch the surface.
  • The pans will hold their heat long after you turn off the heat, so if you're cooking something delicate like eggs, take them out of the pan immediately or they will continue to cook.
Any more tips for beginners like me?

8 comments:

  1. This is great. I've been shopping around for cast iron but have not bought anything yet. My husband keeps telling me to just buy it but they are pricey so I want to make sure I like what I get. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my cast iron!!! I had a few pieces that I always use. I did go to the "non stick" side for a while. But I just brought some more cast iron so no more non stick for me! Cast iron is easy care if you follow the instructions of how to clean and care for it. It maybe pricey but it will last forever (if you take care of it). It is great for your home use and to take with you when you ruff it outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's all we use in our home :) I love how it cooks the food. And I can use it on the stove or in the oven--I bake corn bread, biscuits, etc. in my cast iron.

    definately worth the investment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you covered it all. One tip I have, is be careful the soap you use to clean, as you can get some terrible tasting food the next time. Also if I've had to really scrub the pan to clean it, I add a bit of oil to the inside after drying.

    I have 2 cast iron pans, 1 in the trailer and 1 in our home, and I love them. Mine were yard sale pick ups and hand me downs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking of going cast iorn, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby found out that alfalfa gets rid of the rust. You just put the whole oven or pan in water and put alfalfa in with it and it will soak up the rest.
    You can wash them with water, just after you dry them, heat them up again. Their pores are so big that just drying it won't work they will rust. Heating them up works though.
    We love ours too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm using my g-ma's skillet,plus ours that's 30 yrs. old. In my opinion they are the only pan to fry in it etc. Do not use tomatoes in them since It taste like iron
    After cleaning them ,put them on the stove to dry out,turn off heat add a little oil to season it for the next use& they won't rust.
    For a new pan scrub it to rid of the residue. Put in a oven w/some oil in the bottom,turn on low heat,let it sit for a little while,turn off heat let set.
    Look in military supply places,camping stores or estate sales for cast iron pan's
    Teflon isn't good for U,the teflon can come off,& it's a chemical not goof for U.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have some cast iron that I use for cooking from time to time. Some recipes just call for the cast iron and I know it won't be nearly as good without it. Also, It's just such dependable cooking, I love the way the heat is spread evenly throughout the instrument. Works so wonderful. Great thought!

    Kristin K

    ReplyDelete