3/11/09

A two-year-old says the Scout Law

Red Chief is two and a half. He's picked up something interesting from all the Cub Scout meetings we've had at our house.

We've been teaching our ten-year-old Webelos Scouts the Scout Law to help them earn their Arrow of Light award. Incidentally, memorizing the Scout Law is also a requirement for the Tenderfoot rank in Boy Scouts.

video

In case you need a translation, the Scout Law is as follows:

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Here's another version he was kind enough to perform for us.

video

---

Here is Red Chief's demonstration that a Scout is "helpful."

video

---

And last, one more outtake:

video

---

Toddlers are amazing. As if we weren't already amazed that Red Chief has learned to talk in just a few short months, not to mention learning letters, colors, animals, and pretty much every other thing a little person needs to know, we had the pleasant surprise to find that he had picked this up, too.

Red Chief's learning the Scout Law has taught me two things: one, that it would be unwise to underestimate the brain power of a toddler; and two, that toddlers are like little sponges, picking up everything that they see and hear, the good and the bad.

9 comments:

  1. I am always amazed at what my toddlers know and understand! He did a really good job on the Scout law!

    Katie and I had a good time laughing at the outtakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! And if you've read my posts this last week or so, toddlers definitely pick up the good and the bad! Mo seems to be enjoying repeating the bad more at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noah says... I am a Scout too. I am a 10 year old Webelo too! He did a great job for such a young boy scout, but we're not allowed to wiggle around like that. hahaha He's cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, I have an 11 year old that just mastered that.

    And your right, they pick up on EVERYTHING. It's just cute when they do it.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cute I have seen boy scouts not know this.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. I need to show that to some of our Webelos and 11-year-olds who don't think they can learn the Scout Law :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So adorable! You're totally right - those little people are just like sponges. They absorb way more than we think they will. Glad you got to capture the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable and brilliant!
    This reminds me of a recent news article about how people who doodle in meetings remember more. Do you think if I spin around or shake my head really, really fast... I might memorize better too? My memory has been fading fast since I hit 40. I could use a bit of Red Chief's talent... and energy, too!

    ReplyDelete