2/2/09

Cheese waffles


I've tried to be better about making breakfast lately, and I'm having fun. Old cookbooks are a great place to turn: cookbooks that were around when families still ate breakfast together and before dry cereal became the de facto official national breakfast.

Here's a recipe from my grandma's old home ec cookbook. I thought cheese waffles sounded like fun until I poured some batter on the iron and wondered what in the world I would serve as topping. I ended up serving applesauce, but I think welsh rabbit sauce would be good, too. Any other ideas?

I used white whole wheat flour and didn't sift. I will reduce the flour by 1/4 to 1/2 cup next time I make these, as the batter was a bit too thick. I also used Cheddar instead of American cheese.

---

Cheese Waffles

2 cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
2 teaspoons Calumet Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, well beaten
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1 cup grated American cheese

Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift again. Combine egg yolks, milk, and butter. Add to flour, beating until smooth. Fold in egg whites and cheese. Bake in hot waffle iron. Makes five 4-section waffles. This batter may also be baked on a hot, greased griddle.

7 comments:

  1. Hi!
    OOOHH! That sounds yummy. I love waffles and they are so expensive in the store. Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat recipe! Thank you for sharing your breakfast adventures:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topping could be avocado or a salsa as well. I love waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might try one of the All-Fruit syrups like blackberry. I've got a recipe for Blackberry Roll that has blackberries and sharp cheddar cheese in it. I made it years ago, but remember it as yummy!

    Many people also have apple pie with a slab of cheese, but I think the blackberries have a tartness that would compliment the waffles well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a HUGE waffle fan! I will have to try that! Thanks for the tip...saw ya on Homemaker's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really cannot imagine cheese waffles. I will have to try these out because I am just baffled at the thought of cheese and waffles, lol!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete