1/13/09

Recipes using ingredients from the bulk bins



This is for Danielle, and anyone else who enjoys staring at the bulk bins at the natural foods store.
  • Tomato and spinach soup, featuring semolina. This is one of my all-time favorite soups, and I have made it several times. Don't add too much semolina like I did once, or you'll end up with porridge.
  • Vegetarian split pea soup, featuring split peas. I was skeptical of a split pea soup without ham or some kind of meat for flavoring, but I'll never go back now that I've had this.
  • Muesli breakfast bars, featuring rolled oats, soy flour, dry milk, wheat germ, and dried apples. These are really good and really healthy!
  • Quinoa tabbouleh, featuring quinoa. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it looks very similar to my regular recipe featuring bulgur, so I'm excited to try it for a main dish.
  • Mediterranean couscous and lentils, featuring couscous and lentils. This is one of our new favorites. You can use any sort of lentils in this recipe.
  • Garlic parmesan flax crackers, featuring flax meal. We just made these for the first time last week and they were a hit! (I used 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder instead of 1 1/2 and they were just right.)

5 comments:

  1. I can't remember the last time I saw a bulk bin at a grocery store! None of my stores locally have them:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for thinking of me! I was going to head over to Whole Foods to get some "Indian Eggplant" (That Eva was using for Moussaka in that video on my blog), so I might as well pick up some bulk things to try these ideas with. The soup sounds yummy. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quinoa is amazing stuff.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking all over for semolina flour but nobody around here has it. You've made me think that maybe I need to take a trip to the "big" city and look at the natural food store there. Wish there was one closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quiona is actually tastes good.I have had to go gluten free since Jan. I 'm going to use in my tabouli this summer. I usally fix devilled eggs w/it for acool summer meal.
    I got DH to eat millet w/o complaining. I have had various kinds of Indian seeds in storage. I was amazed they were still good.U had to pop them in a hot skillet w/oil to release the flavor. It really added a bang to the millet.
    DH got his salary cut 15% for april. I having to rummage in my c/boards to come up w/meal ideas to keep costs down,
    Mylar really works to store grains here in the South. The quiona & millet have been stored for 7 yrs. No bad taste. Br.Rice goes rancid too soon. Split gr. peas go rock hard & impossible to cook. The bright orangle lentils keep well & cook quicker than the green ones.

    ReplyDelete