1/5/09

Pecan-caramel cinnamon rolls


One of the first recipes I requested from my mom after I was married was her recipe for caramel cinnamon rolls. She made them on special occasions, such as Christmas morning, and sometimes just because.

I soon found that getting a recipe from her isn't as straightforward as I had expected. She has recipes written down, but they aren't exactly what she makes. She changes this and that, and the changes are all in her head.

As I started out, I was determined that all my recipes would be written out exactly as I made them. I was off to a good start the first year, but lately I realized that I've become just like my mom: a few weeks ago, Mr. Mordecai asked me for a breakfast recipe, and I responded, "Uh . . . you'll have to change a few things from the written recipe. Why don't you just let me do it?"

---

Caramel-Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
Adapted from my mom's recipe

1 recipe dough for baked doughnuts (use 1/4 cup of sugar instead of 2/3 cup)
1 cup pecan halves or chopped pecans
1 recipe caramel topping, below (halve if desired)
butter, cinnamon, white sugar, and raisins

Make dough using 1/4 cup sugar instead of 2/3 cup. Let rise once, then punch down and set on floured surface to rest for a few minutes. Meanwhile, make the caramel topping. Spread pecans in bottom of a 9 x 13" baking dish and pour caramel topping over them.

Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, about 1/4" thick. Rub dough with butter, then sprinkle sugar, cinnamon, and raisins to taste over all. Roll up dough and cut into 12 pieces. Place in baking dish on top of caramel.

Cover and let rise until rolls are even with top of pan, either on counter or overnight in the fridge. If you have let the dough rise overnight, take out of the fridge for 30 minutes before you start baking. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Turn out of pan upside-down so caramel shows on top. Let cool a bit.

---

Caramel Topping

½ cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup

Melt butter in small saucepan. Add sugar and corn syrup; stir until combined. Spread in bottom of pan. Place rolls on top and allow to rise. Bake as directed. Makes enough for 1-2 dozen.

3 comments:

  1. That's probably the best thing blogging has done for me. It makes me write down recipes as I make them up or change them. My kids used to be sad because we'd never have anything more than once :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say hello...I followed your blog for months last year and some how lost track of you! I'm putting you on my blogroll so that doesn't happen again! :)

    ReplyDelete