1/8/09

New dishes


In the four years we've been married, I've been using my mom's old dishes. She buys dishes in sets of twelve or sixteen, and then when too many break, she gives them away or stores them in the basement.

So when I was a poor newlywed, I grabbed a box of old dishes and I've been using them ever since. They've served us well, but a few have broken and chipped here and there. As we were living on a limited income when Mr. Mordecai was still in college, I grabbed a few replacements from thrift stores, and here I am four years later, with a mismatching set of dishes to rival the best of them.

Or, at least, that was the case until Christmas. I am now the proud owner of a set of matching dishes: service for twelve. Eight place settings will live in the cupboard, and four more will live in the closet until called upon by breakage.

Thank you, Mr. Mordecai. You know me well enough to know that I wouldn't have bought a new set myself until I'd broken a few more plates, no matter how much I wanted one.

17 comments:

  1. Nice dishes. Love the colours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely --and your last sentences sum up how I act, too! Nice to know there are others using Mum's old dishes out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dishes...very bright. How sweet of your hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those are beautiful. We are still using my mom's old dishes. (We were married almost eight years ago.) Like you, I have a hard time justifying purchasing new ones when these ones will suffice. What a thoughtful husband to recognize such a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I like the blue and yellow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way. We've been using an old Corelle set I accumulated on clearance sales when I moved into my first apartment. If only Honey read blogs and saw this post.

    BTW - Those dishes would go perfectly in my dining room. Do you mind sharing the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I know what you are saying! We lived with a nice 4 setting set that was supplemented by odds and ends for years. Only when my SIL bought the really nice 8 piece set I have now at a yardsale did we have matching dishes.

    Great that your hubby knows you well enough to buy you a set like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute. I like those colors a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. T, I looked at the bottom and all it says is JCPenney Home. The boxes say that the pattern is "Color Strokes," but when I Google that pattern, I come up with something totally different. So if you want this pattern, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! My mom's dishes are in the same color scheme. We call them breakfast dishes, because they seem to be really sunny dishes for a cheerful breakfast. Enjoy your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Mr. Mordecai! Those are great.

    I was just looking in my ads this morning from the newspaper and I saw that very set on sale at JC Penneys. I can't find the exact pattern on their site, but the add says "Color Strokes Dinnerware." They also have pictured other colors which look like this: http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?ItemID=1244db8&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=color+strokes&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&s4PageSize=15&CmCatId=searchresults&Search1Prod=True

    Hope that helps, T.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great hubby, who knows what you like, and gets it for you (and such pretty colors too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the pattern. I've always wanted a blue and yellow kitchen. I am half way there. I have a red and yellow (more golden really) kitchen right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful! Our first Christmas together my husband bought me cookware. I thought it was the perfect present and was glad he didn't listen to the sale lady and buy me jewlery. Enjoy your dishes.

    ReplyDelete