1/14/09

Cooking dry beans in the slow cooker


Looking back at my dry beans series, there's one part I left out: cooking dry beans in the slow cooker. It's definitely an easy and worry-free way to go. Here's how I do it:


Rinse

Pick your beans over to get out little rocks, dirt clumps, and anything else that shouldn't be there. Put them in a strainer and rinse them well, until the water runs clear.


Soak

Put your beans in a bowl or pot, and cover them with twice as much water. Leave overnight, anywhere from 8 to 36 hours. If you don't like the thought of leaving them out on the counter, you can put them in the fridge.

Although you can get away without soaking beans if you are cooking them in your slow cooker, I would still recommend it because it helps later with . . . shall we say . . . abdominal discomfort.


Cook

Pour your soaked beans into a strainer and rinse well, until the water runs clear. Dump into your slow cooker and cover with water by several inches. I have a four-quart slow cooker, and one pound of beans is a good fit.

Cook on high to avoid phytohaemagglutinin poisoning. Kidney beans are highest risk for this, so I would recommend that if you are cooking kidney beans in your slow cooker, that you bring them to a boil on the stove before transferring to your slow cooker. Although risk of phytohaemagglutinin poisoning is low and it's not dangerous, it's still good to avoid!

---

See the rest of the dry beans series here.

---


Related links:
How we ate on $25 a week
Black beans and rice
Dry beans vs. canned beans: cost comparison

16 comments:

  1. Hey Mrs. Moredecai! I'm holding a giveaway over on my blog, I thought you might like to enter. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The slow cooker is how I cook my beans 98% of the time! I haven't ever heard of the poisoning. We mostly cook pinto beans, and I rarely remember to soak overnight, so I always do the quick soak method of bringing to a boil, then letting stand for an hour (or less if I'm in a hurry.) So I guess we're safe.

    Thanks for your advice today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the honey baked lentils on Monday night and I have to say...I was not impressed. You say you love lentils? Do you have some lentil recipes you can share? I'm new to lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of being poisoned by beans! Learn something new (and important) every day. Thanks!

    BTW--I am smitten with your blog. Lovely graphics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog. Thanks for the bean tips.

    It must be the day for contest referrals :-) I also have one running this week on my blog. The prize is a signed copy of The Skousen Book of More Amazing Mormon World Records by Paul B. Skousen. Great book! And he's willing to send anywhere in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The slow cooker is the only way I cook beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post. I keep thinking that I want to cook some beans, but I haven't put the effort into it. I am planning to start soaking some tonight..thanks for posting this easy way of putting them in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always cook beans in my slow cooker. I don't ever soak my beans when I cook them this way, I rinse them after they have been cooked and we don't have problems with...how did you say it? Abdominal discomfort. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, again, for all your time in putting this together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cooking pinto beans in the slow cooker. These are great tips to know. I had no idea you could get poisoned from beans. You learn something knew every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Other then split peas I buy my beans in a can. I have 1 child that doesn't like beans. Go figure there would be one out of the batch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this. I just love using my crock pot. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting...guess that I will start cooking beans in the crock pot.
    What's with "hugs"?
    Gwen Holt
    Rescue, Va.

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for the link to the toxin. I am a bean novice and did not realize that cannelli beans are considered kidney beans! Off to boil...

    ReplyDelete