12/30/08

How to use leftover chili


Just before Christmas, my brother was married in the town next door and my whole family came up to stay with us. It was a great few days, and everything went well.

They ended up leaving a day early to beat a snowstorm out of town, and we were left with a huge batch of chili that I had cooked up ahead of time and frozen. I took half of it out and thawed it for Christmas Eve, but it's been going very slowly with only three of us.

Here are some of my ideas for using leftover chili:
  • Pile up some tortilla chips, sprinkle some cheese on top, and top with chili
  • Serve over spaghetti with chopped onions and grated cheese for toppings
  • Use in place of meat for tacos
  • Stir some into a batch of macaroni
  • Chili dogs
We still have some left, and another bag, just as big, in the freezer. What ideas do you have?

13 comments:

  1. Hey..I just did number one last night with the tortilla chips. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mrs. M. This helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top scrambled eggs with chili and cheese for a hardy breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Come see the pictures I just posted on my blog :) Happy New Year 2009! ♥ Hugs :) Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  5. We like it warmed up and poured over the top of chopped baked potatoes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chili on a bed of romaine lettuce topped with cheese, salsa and sour cream. It makes a really yummy salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd use some of it for taco salad filling! If it's got lots of beans in it, you could mash them up and form them into patties and toss them in the frying pan for REAL "chili burgers."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you live that you got snow? I live in MN and getting plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We put chili on top of fry bread and call it Navajo Tacos.

    We just buy Bridgeford frozen dough but you could make your own. You only need to let it rise once. Then fry the bread and quickly layer chili, lettuce, cheese and sour cream on top.

    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!I love chili spaghetti. How about chili over rice? Throw on some hot sauce and warm up from the inside out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I put left-over chili on buns & top with cheese & broil in oven for a few minutes.
    We also put them on hot dogs for chili dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chili on rice is a Hawaiian staple. I eat it any chance I get.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Put it on a baked potato

    ReplyDelete