11/11/08

Rinsing, soaking, and cooking dry beans

Image from Wikipedia.

Rinse


Before you soak dry beans, pick them over to get out little rocks, dirt clumps, and anything else that shouldn't be there.

Put them in a strainer and rinse them well, until the water runs clear.


Soak

The day before you want to cook your dry beans, put them in for a soak. Soaking helps reduce the discomfort that some people feel after eating beans, and it also helps them cook faster.

Put your beans in a bowl or pot, and cover them with twice as much water. Leave overnight, anywhere from 8 to 36 hours. If you don't like the thought of leaving them out on the counter, you can put them in the fridge.


Cook

Pour your beans into a strainer and rinse well, until the water runs clear. Put in a pot big enough to be no more than 2/3 full, then add your beans and twice as much water. I like to use a heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, because it insulates so well that I can turn the heat on the stove down to almost nothing. It also helps keep the temperature even, so I don't have to check on them as often. If you see bubbles similar to soap bubbles, don't worry; it's normal.

Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for an hour or two, until your beans are done. The cooking time may vary wildly, depending on the length of your soak, the hardness of your water, and the age and size of your beans.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks1 I am not the best at using the beans we have. my husband would loves me to cook them more so this is very simple and easy to remember! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your series! I'm looking forward to more. I finished my pinto bean canning-62 pints. At least one jar per week. Next goal-black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put them in the crock pot with enough water to go over them about an inch, and put it on high most of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. altitude makes a diffrence with the cooking time too. The higer up you are the longer it will take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Danielle, I crockpot em. So easy, and if you add a bit of seasoning, you can have a pot of beans ready for dinner at the end of the day. Then use the leftovers in the following days. Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised at how many of my meals end up including beans of some kind - they sure are a great fill-in...tacos w/beans, chili & beans, numerous soups with beans, rice & beans.

    I wonder if other people beans so much...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bookmarked this site forever ago..to use when I'm ready to stop being lazy and actually use dry beans. I'm finally there!! What do you think about freezing after they are frozen? I'm thinking of cooking up 2 lbs. different beans a couple times a month & then freezing smaller cooked portions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to cook up a bunch and then freeze them in can-sized portions—1.5–2 cups each. I put the portions in zipper sandwich bags and then put them all in a big gallon zipper bag. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's exactly what I was thinking! So excited. Just cooked up 2 different type beans. Thanks for your nice articles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cook a large amount of beans (from dried) at a time and freeze them. Then they are ready to use whenever I need them. They freeze well.

    ReplyDelete