11/18/08

Lentil curry

We love this recipe! I can't remember where I originally found it, but it's become a staple in our menu. It's quick, cheap, and healthy, and can be made from ingredients I always keep on hand. The downside: your house smells like curry for the next two days.


Lentil Curry

1 cup lentils
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeic
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 14-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes

Cook lentils. In a separate pan, cook onion in oil. Combine spices and add; cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and heat through. Add cooked, drained lentils to mixture and combine. Serve over rice.

Serves 4.

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe, Mrs. M. I went to Whole Foods really early this morning with my daughter and wrote down everything that was in those bins. I came home and googled some of them for some neat recipes, but don't have enough to blog about it yet. Some examples of what I found:
    Mung beans, Muesli, Kasha, Almond Meal, Brown rice elbow noodles, all kinds of granola, wasabi peas, lots of lentils, lots of different flours like barley, semolina, amaranth, oat, rye, and several different dry beans.
    I didn't buy anything but I am wishing I had now that I am reading these recipes that are coming up in my google searches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am trying this recipe! I love curry and this sounds wonderful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete